Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween - a Nordic short story.

I was calmly watching 'The Reader' last night. Wiping my drenched face from sadness - (seriously..what is evil when you rearrange order like that)(and throw in a young naked 15 year old fellow with a 43 year old woman) (with really large nipples)and hugging myself.

When the door knocked. Not a solid knock. More like a 'kno...' (half a knock) I was all alone and that half a knock freaked me out and I completely forgot about the Germans on the plasma, reading in the nude.

I approach my door. I listen for breathing on the other side. 'Is there anyone there?' Nothing. It knocks again, this time loud an clear and - twice. My voice sharpens, louder I go, 'WHO'S THERE?'Then I yell, 'HEEE-LLOOO,' the silence is scaring me to the extent, that I reach for a swear-word and go, 'WHO THE FUCK IS IT??'
A woman's voice suddenly finds it's way through the keyhole, 'there are a few kids here, trick or treating'.

I was so ashamed.

I quickly open the door. And they were adorable, five young dwarfs in grey wigs, tall black hats, and skeleton patterned suits... It feels horrible to forget it's Halloween. But it happens up north, where I live. In Scandinavia. We're just not that into festivities during winter that doesn't automatically call for a shot of vodka and a song.

But, globalization hit us too. Apparently - yay.

I got a drawing with a ghost on it called Boohoo. But it doesn't take away that I said the F-word to children trick or treating. I hope they forgot about it after I showered them in candy and baked goods. And I hope that the woman's/mother's angry eyes will stop haunting me.

1 comment: